Sunday, July 18, 2010

Harvest Updates

Our Garden probably provides us with about 60% of our total produce consumption, sometimes more. We often still buy onions, cabbage, celery and broccoli from the Farmer's Market. We also purchase tomatoes, potatoes and peppers in the winter, when we don't have them growing. (we SHOULD just stick to what we DO grow, but sometimes we like more variety)  We do buy blueberries, cherries, peaches and plums sometimes too. We're growing a peach tree (I named "Alauria") so, eventually we will have our own peaches and will not need to buy.  Blueberries have always been difficult. I have killed 2 bushes already and I get frustrated because, I do have a green thumb for just about any plant. I know they require acid, sandy, loamy soil. We just don't have acid soil, so we've amended in the pot. They never thrive, then slowly die off. Their leaves come out white or pink and never turn green. I don't know what's wrong! Anyone have any clue?

July 12th
July 14th
July 15th
July 16th

No comments: