Monday, April 27, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Monday, April 6, 2009
Here's the breakdown:
Greens 4.75 lbs, Broccoli 0.75 lbs, Carrots 0.31 lbs, Kale 2.3 lbs, NZ Spinach 1.3 lbs, Potatoes 5 lbs, Kumquats 4.44 lbs, Cherry Tomatoes 1.27 lbs, Radish Greens 0.34 lbs, Herbs 0.06 lbs, Oranges 4.38 lbs, Tangerines 18.63 lbs, Loquats 1.34 lbs & Strawberries 0.28 lbs
yes, I know... it's styrofoam egg cartons... bad for the environment, but at least I used it for more than holding eggs.
The Garden beds coming along... only problem... actually quite a set back, the compost we purchased from a local rock/soil place put shredded wood that's been painted, and particle board, and composit wood chunks in it. There's pieces of plastic and glass in it as well... We mixed it all into the soil already on 3 beds before we realized this... sigh. So, the rest we'll do it the way we've been so far, buying Organic Compost from Home Depot.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Now I'm doing it all by myself, still not sure how it will be used.
This is how it's used. I did this! (With a LOT of coaching from D.S.)
After a lot of smoke and some patience, D.S. was able to open up the hive in the Sprinkler Box.
Here's another view: the bees are busy gorging themselve on the honey because they are alarmed by the smoke
Here is a view of the hive that seemed empty, but it turned out to be full of the larvae. If you look, you can see that the left side has the larger larvae and it gets smaller towards the right. That's because their hatching date differs as the Queen Bee keeps laying in newly made cells.
I've decided that I'd like to eventually start bee-keeping. Perhaps I'll be more knowledgeable by next season when they swarm once again. Thank you D.S. for sharing your knowledge with me and allowin me to experience this!