Thursday, May 1, 2008

More descriptions



If you're interested, you can check out my roughly labeled yard(if I had the time, I'd go research their botanical names but I don't and plus you probably don't care either! hehe...) I zoned the yard out Alphabetically, so next time I talk about the area we are working on , I'll mention the zone and if you really want to know you can look at this image to see where we're digging and planting.

For example, right now we are digging in parts of zones "G and "I" to prepare the soil for the apples and peach tree that have arrived last night. We are procrastinators (well yes and no, we have full-time jobs outside of home and a child to tend to right now) so we were supposed to get the soil prep done last weekend, but the heat wave was unrelenting so we only managed to clear the old succulent bramble in those areas. So last night (ok this is not very ecological and I don't recommend doing this) Tim had a lamp on and was digging and tilling and amending the soil at 3am! NUTS! we know... maybe our neighbors think we are burying a body...lol

Most of zone "G" and "H" is already planted with the melon family seeds; pickling cucumber, cantaloupe, zucchini, and pumpkin, with some lettuces sprouting there as well. We had Tomatoes, Potatoes and Peppers planted in that area last year so we have tomato seedlings sprouting in the lettuce bed, which we've transferred some to the 8'x3' bed in zone "D" with it's nightshade relatives. I'm not well versed in Crop Rotation yet, but I know the basic plant families and to NOT plant the same family year after year in the same spot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here's article of the rise and fall of suburban living
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_18/b4082056979063.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5&link_position=link12

High oil prices = high oil cost in commutting to the the suburbs.
I thought the last part was interesting: the pros of a backyard garden and the cons neigbors complain stinky manure