Friday, May 25, 2012

Backyard Garden Update

Scarlet Runner Beans in their full glory
Self seeded Nappa Cabbage sprouting like crazy!
Patty Pan squash growing in the cradle of vetch, mums beginning to bloom

Trying my hand at growing water chestnuts. I started with grocery store packaged water chestnuts. Only 2 survived. It probably had to do with the winter weather. Let's hope these thrive over the summer and produce some corms! On the right is Oxalis Tuberosum, edible oca. It looks just like clovers, doesn't it? The tubers are edible, although I've only had a few tubers so I haven't eaten any yet.
Chard towering over us ready to set seed! The right side are Elephant Head Amaranth (we eat the leaves), Shiso(perilla) and in the backdrop large leaves of edible Burdock we're hoping to let seed.
Salmon colored Alstroemeria
In the foreground, right side burdock, left side edible canna
Mexican Primose on left, Dioscorea Batata on the right in it's second year.
Fennel about to flower
Kabocha pumpkin: literally in nearly finished compost (the black frame is the compost bin)
The new raised bed waiting to be dug in. On the right, we have Peppers and Potatoes
Planted most of the Tomatoes...we have 22 plants in all this year. On the right, Lettuces going to seed, sweet potatoes planted and starting to gear up it's vine growth.  Fennel also flowering to set seed.
Delicate cilantro blooms, hoping to get some seeds.
Beautiful Epiphyllum flower

This is NOT our garden, it's the next door neighbor's dead, neglected, termite infested tree. We found termites in our house beams. We need to get rid of them, but unless our neighbor gets rid of this tree, we're going to have the same problem over and over.

6 comments:

Eric Hutchison said...

Edible Canna? We have some very tall, beautiful canna lilies in our byard but I had no idea there was such a type you can eat. Very interesting!

Eric Hutchison said...

Edible Canna? We have some very tall, beautiful canna lilies in our byard but I had no idea there was such a type you can eat. Very interesting!

Tracy Wood said...

22 tomatoes! Wow! I have 6 plants and I'm already bracing myself for all the tomatoes that are coming. I love to roast mine and then freeze them- a treat all winter long. .... too bad about that tree.

mother of the bride suits said...

soooo beautiful, thank you for sharing!

shij said...

Any idea if the chayamanasa leaves cause allergies? My son has allergies too... And I suspect chaya triggers it. What do you think?

AJK said...

I'm very sure it's not the chaya leaves for my son, Shij. I've never fed him any. Plus you are supposed to cook that stuff for 20 min to get rid of the cyanides. I think the allergies are from GMO foods. They are suspected of causing leaky gut which causes larger molecules to pass through the gut into the body, and the body reacts as though it is a virus or bacteria to the food molecule.